During a late night market trip my husband and I wondered into the Mexican isle. We were looking at the ingredients of canned menudo for gluten. While I was picking up different cans my husband was amazed by a huge can of hominy. After deciding not to buy any menudo I headed off to the ice cream isle leaving my husband and his hominy can. Picking up some Breyer’s ice cream I turned to see my husband still holding the can of hominy. He really wanted to buy this large can of hominy; so I decided to try to make a dinner out of it.
Once home I talked with my sister about putting together a chicken lime hominy soup. We tossed some ideas at each about garlic, vegetable broth, and spinach. After speaking with her I jotted down a few ideas from our conversation to give me an outline when cooking.
And here is our creation; a yummy bowl of fresh chicken lime cilantro soup! I loved the fresh lime flavor with the hominy and chicken. I added the red pepper flakes for a little heat without changing the flavor of the soup. My husband and I were both really happy at how yummy this soup came out. This soup was great even during the heat of a California summer. I can only imagine how good it would taste during the winter. I don’t know why my husband wanted that big can of hominy but I am sure glad he did!
3 Chicken Breasts
1 ½ cups of Vegetable Broth
3 Cans Chicken Broth (low sodium)
1 Teaspoons. Olive oil
4 Garlic Cloves
5 Fresh Limes
2 ½ Large Onions
3 Tablespoons Dried Cilantro
1 Large can White Hominy
1 Package Frozen Spinach
Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
Garlic Salt to taste
1 Bundle Fresh Cilantro as Garnish
Red pepper flakes
- Boil chicken in a pot and let cook until chicken reached a temperature of 160.
- While the chicken is cooking chop onions in chunks, finely chop garlic, and fresh cilantro.
- Prepare frozen spinach as directed on package.
- When chicken has reached 160 degrees remove from pot.
- After cooled shred and season chicken with pepper and season salt.
- Remove the chicken broth from pot into a separate container to be used later.
- Taking the pot used to boil the chicken bring it back to a medium heat.
- Add olive oil to the pot after heated add chopped garlic and chopped onions (1/2 cup to serve uncooked with meal). Let onions sweat for a bit.
- Before adding the shredded chicken squeeze the juice of 3 limes into the garlic onion mix.
- Add seasoned chicken into pot and stir coating the chicken.
- Combine hominy, spinach, dried cilantro, vegetable broth, cans of chicken broth, and 2 cups fresh chicken broth to the pot. (the chicken broth made while boiling came out a bit watery. That is why I had to open some cans of chicken broth.)
- Add garlic and sea salt to taste
- Let cook on medium heat for 30 min. Taste and season while cooking.
- When the soup is ready to serve slice the remaining 2 limes in halves. Place limes, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped onions, and red pepper flakes into small bowls and placing on table.
Add goodies from bowls on soup with a little fresh squeeze of lime into soup. Be careful when adding the red pepper flakes they are hot… and enjoy!